Architectus celebrates the opening of two education projects

1 May 2018

The new Middle School and Administration building at St Paul’s College is located on the southern edge of the college campus facing the main road from which the school is entered. To the north the new building defines the threshold of a new open space for one of Auckland’s oldest Marist Schools.

The project is the first stage of a master plan that forms part of a broader strategy to increase the college roll over the coming years. The brief called for an Innovative Learning Environment (ILE) for two hundred students together with an administration area which can grow to accommodate an expanding roll.

Alfred Nathan House, built in 1906, was originally the home of an Auckland businessman and his family. Located on Auckland’s busy Princes Street the building is now part of The University of Auckland’s city campus alongside a number of other significant heritage buildings.

Upgrading of the buildings seismic performance served as the catalyst for a larger project which included the removal of a number of unsympathetic additions, reinstatement of the heritage street façade to the west and the addition of a new element that forms a new open eastern façade facing a key campus open space. This new addition also provides a new accessible campus address complementing the public address on Princes Street. With extensive areas of glazing the new addition deliberately contrasts with the masonry language of the heritage fabric. Internally shared flexible work spaces and generous social areas provide a contemporary workspace for staff and students.